I'm not sure what I called this type of post while I was in Korea, but here. we. goooooooo!
1) Political slogans and ads are painted on the walls of buildings here, rather than using paper signs.
2) Everyone thinks you're going to die if you drink anything cold, especially water. In addition, tea is an obligatory part of every meal eaten within the home.
3)The only women who don't get catcalled are grandmothers. (or people who look like grandmothers).
4) Recycling is not a thing here.
5) Vegetables are not commonly eaten in large quantities here because they are thought to be "girl food" and this is a male dominated society.
6) See above for the reason that "broccoli" is a rude slang term for gay men in Peru. (I still don't know why "duck" is though).
7) Typically there is more than one starch in every meal. (Ex: for dinner last week, we were once served a pasta dish with potatoes in it and a side of rice).
8) I am so sick of potatoes it is not even funny.
9) My host mother is more upset and worried over the fact that I am not going out to clubs at night with boys than she is about me walking home from Spanish lessons at night. (Interesting from an anthropological standpoint right?)
10) Fireworks go off all the time here, even during the day. I am almost as tired of them as I am of tea and potatoes.
11) Coca leaf legitimately just tastes like green. Not green tea. Green.
12) Everyone wears the touristy clothes here. Peruvians walk around in llama sweaters and hiking boots just like all the people that don't actually live here all the time.
13) The driving is insane and I miss seatbelts.
14) Anything that makes no sense to you culturally can probably be blamed on the altitud. ("But I don't want any more coca leaf and potatoes!" "You must have them!" "Why?" "The altitude!")
15) My sense of humor doesn't really translate here.
16) The Cusco flag is the same as the Gay Pride flag. Someone tried to tell me that the Gay Pride Flag is the Cusco flag upside down, but they were incorrect.
17) Nobody bothers a woman who is walking with a man.
18) Inca Cola tastes like banana bubble gum Trust me, you're not missing much,
Leave a Reply.
Everyday Acts of Activism