Hello my lovely readers!
There are so many reasons that you could be feeling lonely in September. Maybe your friends are going to different schools than you are, maybe you are the one starting over and the thought frightens you, or maybe you just can't seem to make yourself leave your room. Whatever the reason, here are some of the things that help me most when I'm feeling far away from those I love.
1) Exercise. In my experience, it is hard to focus on anything other than the lactic acid flowing through your muscles and your labored breathing when exercising. Whether your poison is Pilates, yoga, free weights, or dance, go for it! I'm a big fan of the Pop Pilates videos on YouTube with Cassey Ho.
2) Play some music that makes you happy. In Fangirl, Cath goes for an Emergency Kanye Party, but if I'm being completely honest, Camp Rock and High School Musical are perfect for turning my day around.
3) Engage in something you love. Hairspray, Cinderella, and the Mighty Wind are some of my favorite movies for when I need a pick me up (or basically any time at all), and I also love to read. I just finished Their Eyes Were Watching God, and my life has been forever changed. I also just started Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging out Without me [And Other Concerns], which is already making me laugh and commiserate.
4) Go out and actually do something. Yesterday I attended the English Conversation Group at my school, and found myself laughing, talking, and making friends. Friends that I never would have even met otherwise! It is so easy to reach out to people you already know, but just as rewarding to seek out new people and situations.
5) Online window shopping. You don't have to actually buy anything to do this. Just browse online, imagining everything you could or would buy if you had unlimited funds and world hunger was already eradicated.
6) Eat a dictionary. Just kidding! But never underestimate the healing power of snacks. (and naps).
7) Do something I'm not allowed to do in the dorms. I am not talking about anything illegal or exceptionally dumb here, like lighting myself on fire or injecting glitter into my bloodstream (not that I have ever tried either of those things). At home I like to light candles and take a long bath, but I can't do either of those things right now. Another thing that helps is animal loving, but I have no pets right now either. Pillow fighting is probably allowed, but pillow fighting with yourself is lame and a little odd.
8) Send a message to the people you miss most. Chances are, they miss you too. Maybe they won't respond right away, but when they see your message, you might have helped them feel a little less lonely too.
There are lots of other things that help me out when I'm feeling a little blue. The main thing is remembering that you aren't really alone. At least, I'm here and I love you! You're more than welcome to make me your new friend/ send me love to make me more big-headed in the comments below. Heck, make it a party!
Everyday Acts of Activism